Sunday, February 3, 2013


"We are not trying to entertain the critics. I'll take my chances with the public."~Walt Disney

I saw this quote today and I'm trying to figure out if I agree or don't agree.
As an artist, I believe you have to work from your soul. 
A person can go to art school and learn technique but an artist is born an artist.
So, I guess that means you have it or you don't
Once you find your passion you have to find a way to express it and then make the even harder decision. 
Do you want to work as artist professionally? Or is it something you're going to do on the weekends?  
I think either is great. 
I would never deny anyone who wants to be an artist...whether they want to paint or draw or sculpt or create installations pieces with lights and sound. 
Once you've made the decision, there's one more decision to make. 
Are you going to care about what the critics are going to say about your work. 
Everyone wants to hear praise. 
EVERYONE.
And anyone who says they don't care what anyone says is full of shit. 
It's human nature. 
We all want to hear we did good. 
It's starts with potty training and the instinct never leaves us. 

I create the art I like to create. 
Strike that!
I create the art that comes from me naturally.
I push myself and challenge myself when I feel I need to and find inspiration in the world around me. Some of the art I create comes from...well...I have no idea where it comes from. It just comes to me and I run with it. 

Do I care what the critics say? 
I care what my clients say
I've never really put myself in a situation where my work is being judged by someone else. I don't enter many contests. Not because of lack of confidence...its more a technical and monetary consideration. That's not to say I haven't won awards for work I've created. I've won a few in my time.  And yes. It felt good. It is positive reinforcement of something I worked hard to create and like I said, we all desire an 'atta' boy!' every now and then.

There is nothing more exciting to me than sitting at my drafting table, preparing to work on a new project. I love putting some music in and sharpening my pencils and lining up my markers. 

The sky's the limit. 
I can do anything I want-as long as I'm not working under the constraints of what a client wants. There's no better feeling than that. 

My brain works a little differently these days. One of the side effects of my neurological struggles has been that I approach my art differently. Like a photographer who has suffered some injury to their eyes. I am retraining myself and working harder than ever to be the best I can be. 

So, in the long run, I will am going to do what I do and if people like it, then alrighty then. I don't have plans to stop any time soon. 

A friend posted this on my Facebook page:




I couldn't have said it any better.

and that's 'Jody' with a 'y'
*Copyright 2013
*All Rights Reserved  

    
   
 
             

No comments:

Post a Comment